- Broad Definition Unemployment 22.6 Percent!
- The Real Number of Unemployed 8 Million 365 Thousand!
- Narrowly Defined Youth Unemployment is 20.8 Percent!
- Narrowly Defined Unemployment of Young Women is 26.1 Percent!
- Broadly Defined Unemployment of Women 29.6 Percent!
TURKSTAT December 2021 Household Labor Force Survey (HLFS) results were published on February 10, 2022. The seasonally adjusted narrow unemployment rate was 11.2 percent, while the seasonally adjusted broad unemployment rate (idle workforce) was 22.6 percent.
According to TURKSTAT, the number of unemployed people aged 15 and over in Turkey (seasonally adjusted) increased by 2 thousand people in December 2021 compared to the previous month and reached 3 million 794 thousand people.
In unemployment rates by gender, female unemployment continues to be the highest category of all unemployment types. While the seasonally adjusted narrow definition unemployment rate was 9.9 percent for men, it rose to 13.8 percent for women. While female unemployment increased by 164 thousand in the last 1 year, male unemployment decreased by 159 thousand. Broadly defined unemployment (idle labor) is 18 percent for men and 30 percent for women. The difference between the broad definition of female unemployment and the broad definition of male unemployment is 10.8 points.
According to İŞKUR data, the number of registered unemployed increased by 212 thousand people from 2 million 959 thousand to 3 million 171 thousand in the one-year period between December 2020 and December 2021. According to TURKSTAT, the narrowly defined number of unemployed has decreased by 159 thousand between these periods in the last year. Thus, the difference in the number of unemployment between the two data was 371 thousand.
However, this trend is not included in the annual unemployment data of TURKSTAT. We think that the annual unemployment data of TURKSTAT are not comparable due to the dismissal ban during the epidemic period and there are serious problems in annual comparison.
Summary findings from the report are as follows:
- The big difference between TÜİK and İŞKUR data continues!
- Women’s unemployment is increasing!
- The broad definition of female unemployment was the highest category among unemployment types!
- The difference between broad and narrow definition unemployment is 11.4!
To access the research bulletin in PDF format: http://arastirma.disk.org.tr/?p=8210