- The broadly defined number of unemployed is 8.5 million!
- Broadly defined unemployment is 22.9 percent!
- The broad definition of female unemployment is 28.8 percent!
- Narrowly defined youth unemployment is 21.6 percent!
- The gap between the unemployment data of TÜİK and İŞKUR continues
TURKSTAT January 2022 Household Labor Force Survey (HLFS) results were published on March 10, 2022. The seasonally adjusted narrow-defined unemployment rate was 11.4 percent, while the seasonally adjusted broad-defined unemployment rate (idle workforce) was 22.9 percent.
According to TURKSTAT, the number of unemployed persons aged 15 and over in Turkey (seasonally adjusted) increased by 21 thousand in January 2021 compared to the previous month and reached 3 million 859 thousand. According to the calculation by DİSK-AR, the seasonally adjusted broadly defined number of unemployed was 8 million 459 thousand people in January 2022.
In unemployment rates by gender, female unemployment continues to be the highest category of all unemployment types. While the seasonally adjusted narrow definition unemployment rate was 10.3 percent for men, it was 13.6 percent for women. While female unemployment increased by 78 thousand in the last 1 year, male unemployment decreased by 239 thousand. The broad definition of unemployment (idle workforce) is 19.7 percent for men and 28.8 percent for women. The difference between the broad definition of female unemployment and the broad definition of male unemployment is 9.1 points.
According to İŞKUR data, the number of registered unemployed increased by 209 thousand people in the one-year period between January 2021 and January 2022. According to TURKSTAT, the narrowly defined number of unemployed has decreased by 162 thousand between these periods in the last year. Thus, the difference in the number of unemployment between the two data was 435 thousand. The majority of the 209 thousand increase in the number of unemployed in İŞKUR consists of women.
However, this trend is not included in the annual unemployment data of TURKSTAT. We think that the annual unemployment data of TURKSTAT are not comparable due to the dismissal ban during the epidemic period and there are serious problems in annual comparison.
Summary findings from the report are as follows:
- There is a serious difference between TÜİK and İŞKUR data!
- The increase in female unemployment continues!
- The broad definition of female unemployment was the highest category among unemployment types!
- The difference between broad and narrow definition unemployment is 11.5 points!