- Registered Full-Time Employment (KATI) is only 20.8 million!
- In the first quarter of 2022, the number of broadly defined unemployed exceeded 8.3 million!
- 18 out of every 100 women are registered and in full-time employment!
- The broad definition of youth unemployment rate is 41 percent!
- One out of every two young women is unemployed!
The Household Labor Force Survey (HLFS) of the Turkish Statistical Institute (TUIK) for the 1st quarter of 2022 was published on May 16, 2022. The first quarter of 2022 covers the months of January, February and March and is based on the new methodology of TURKSTAT. As it is known, TurkStat has been announcing monthly and quarterly data separately since March 2021. Quarterly data has broader scope, while monthly data is more limited.
TurkStat announced that there was an increase of 2 million 183 thousand people in seasonally adjusted employment in the one-year period between the first quarter of 2021 and the first quarter of 2022. Thus, the number of seasonally adjusted employment was announced as 29 million 964 thousand in the first quarter of 2022. The seasonally adjusted employment rate, which was 43.9 percent in the first quarter of 2022, increased by 2.7 points to 46.6 percent. However, the official employment data of TURKSTAT, like the narrow-defined unemployment data, show only a limited part of the picture. Employment data alone do not provide information on the nature of employment. Therefore, alternative employment calculations are also needed!
While the official employment rate of TURKSTAT was announced as 46.6 percent in the 1st quarter of 2022, the Registered Full-Time Employment (KATI) rate calculated by DİSK-AR based on the data of TURKSTAT was 32.5 percent. While the official employment rate for women was announced as 29.5 percent, the official employment rate was announced as 18.1 percent for women and 64 percent for men, while the KATI rate was calculated as 47.1 percent. Summary findings from the report are as follows:
- Only 3 out of 10 employable people are registered and in full-time employment
- Broad definition unemployment 22.6 percent
- Broad definition of female unemployment 29.1 percent
- Broad definition of youth unemployment at 41 percent